One pop star once complained about being unsure of wanting something hot or cold. Luckily, with this recipe, there isn’t a need to make a decision. Introducing, the Moringa Latte! A drink just as tasty over ice as it is in a warm mug.
An alternative to coffee or hot chocolate is a green powder known as matcha. Popular in Japan, matcha is whole ground green tea leaves made into a fine powder. Used in traditional tea ceremonies using a wooden “whisk,” matcha has been commercialized into the production of numerous confections and desserts, creating brightly colored green delicacies.
Still, matcha contains caffeine and while it is high in amino acids, it’s not as nutrient-dense as some other “green” foods, one of them being moringa. For a head to head comparison of matcha and moringa, click here! Given moringa’s versatility as one of the healthiest green superfoods, here is an alternative to the hot (or iced, for all you summer folk) matcha latte using moringa!
- 8-10 oz. Milk or milk alternative (if you don’t have any lying around, throw some raw nuts into a strong blender with water or just use hot water!)
- 1 Tbsp Moringa powder
- 1-3 tsp agave or honey
- Heat 8-10 ounces of your favorite milk, milk alternative, or water on the stove using a small pot. You can use a microwave to speed up this process, but be careful not to overheat the milk.
- When the milk begins to bubble, turn off the heat.
- Add in 1 Tbsp of Moringa powder and 1-3 tsp of agave or honey to sweeten to taste. Use a whisk (metal works, but if you have a wooden tea whisk or Molinillo, even better) to mix in and froth the beverage.
- Pour into a cup and enjoy!
For the iced version, mix all ingredients into a blender. Blend the drink well and pour over a half a cup of ice.
The Moringa “Matcha” Latte, a fantastic alternative to a classic drink that can help nourish your body and the world. Safe for kids, a pick me up for adults, and absolutely delicious! Test subjects have reported an increase in energy from this beverage.
You can find many more yummy moringa recipes on our blog!